This granola is delicious not only as a breakfast cereal with milk but sprinkled over natural yogurt, fruit salad or poached fruit.
This has a much lower sugar content than most commercial granolas and also by using coconut oil it is far healthier.
Use guaranteed gluten free oats to make this a gluten free granola but do be aware some coeliacs cannot tolerate any oats so may not be able to eat any oat based granola.
3 tablespoons of coconut oil
250g rolled oats
50g desiccated coconut
50g dried apricots – cut into small pieces
50g sliced almonds
50g sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
3 tablespoons of pure maple syrup
- Heat the oven to 170c.
- In a small saucepan melt the coconut oil and leave to cool slightly.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a big bowl.
- Add the maple syrup and vanilla extract into the coconut oil and whisk together thoroughly.
- Pour this over the dry ingredients and mix until it is all well covered.
- Line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper and spread the mixture out on the trays.
- Bake for 5 minutes and then give it a stir.
- Put it back in the oven for another 5 minutes but do keep an eye on it as it can start to burn. I leave one half in a little longer then the other so half is nicely toasted but not burnt.
- Remove from oven and leave covered with clean tea towels to cool completely
- Transfer to an airtight jar or container. It should last for up to 4 weeks.